Thursday, July 12, 2012

My New {not-so} Secret Weapon...

Today I received some exciting new mail of the kitchen-gadget type...
(did I really just utter the words exciting & kitchen in the same sentence?! What has come over me??!!)

Please meet Mr Thermomix; lets call him Tom for short...


When I mention to people the word 'Thermomix' I usually get one of three reactions:
a) What on earth is a Thermomix?!
b) Oooooh cool, Thermomix's are so cool!
c) Far out those things are way too expensive for me to ever justify!

To be quite honest with you I'd be inclined to agree with both b & c options!

... I found out about Thermomix's nearly 2 years ago when Abbie was only a few weeks old. A friend from my mothers group demonstrated them to us one day.
From the get go I was impressed at what this thing in front of me did!
... it chopped, blended, kneaded, milled, cooked, steamed and more.

I appreciated the matter of fact way that my friend explained what they did. She was quite down to earth and open about what it did and didn't do for her, and how she found it as a young Mum of soon to be 2 littlies.
It was SO fast and easy and the 6 dishes she demonstrated to us all tasted great.




Then she told us the price...

Well... there went all my notion of getting one.
Not being a passionate cook myself there was no way I as going to pay that much for a kitchen appliance (even if I could afford it, which I definitely couldn't).
So I filed the idea away.
I must admit that I still could see the merits and still wanted one though. 


Cue 2 years down the track...
Over the last 2 months I have proven to myself that it is consistently important to me to prepare whole-food meals from scratch for my family and try to work toward an additive free & low processed diet.
But while it is important to me to do this, I'm not quite sure I could sustain the amount of effort that it would require of me with my time.

More time in the kitchen for me means that available business & sewing time is almost none.
And I can see that would mean I'd quickly fall into some bad habits in order to make time for those.

So after much research, discussion & consideration I have decided that this nifty new tool is worth the investment. If I can learn to use it for everything I plan to then I've worked out I should be able to pay it back by savings on grocery budget & power consumption in approx a year.
But we shall soon see...

It arrived today and I put it to its paces straight away.
I've already discovered things I love about it and things I'm not so keen on.


Today we already cooked 5 things in it.
Here's a sneak preview of one of the dishes...

please excuse the state of my oven door!
Ok so technically I didn't bake this bread in the thermomix, but it still has to be the easiest bread I've ever made and it tastes delicious!
I'll give you the full run down on this, along with my other dishes tomorrow.

Then I have a bunch of other trials to do including but not limited to butter, yoghurt, cheese, risotto, a curry, and jam.
During all those trials I'll give you a full honest review of what went well & what didn't and whether I'd ever do it again.
So watch this space...



11 comments :

susan said...

Pass the jam please, to go with my toast. I have the munchies.

Bron said...

Wow the pressure is on now to make some fantastic stuff....all the best look forward to seeing all that you create.x

Dolores said...

This is so cool!! I've been thinking about getting one of those for about a year. A friend recently told me that you can buy them interest free for $80/mth x 2yrs. That made it more tempting BUT I just got a brand new Bernina and my husband just reminded me that I got an iPad too (big birthday). So.... I'll just have to live in your shoes for a while.

dxx

Lisa Cox said...

I was one of the option a people, LOL. I have/had no idea what a thermomix was. I think I'll go look it up and see what all it does. Maybe I need one?!

Waverlee said...

Oh I am soooo jealous right now! :D

Leanne said...

Interesting, I have never heard of this beastie.

carol said...

$80 a month for 2 years? Are you crazy? I've been cooking homemade, healthy meals for my family (now there are only 2 of us left), for close to 40 years and believe me, I have NEVER needed some fancy gadget! Especially one that costs $1760. Honey, it's kind of like using a cheaper sewing machine. If you can sew, you can sew. You really don't need a $8000 sewing machine to be able to sew well. Same goes for cooking!!! Is it returnable? (OR....maybe I'm too old for all the hype! That might be it! There'd be no way I'd buy one in a million years!!)

Cherie said...

I hope you manage to validate the expense of it and use it practically everyday so it in a sense pays for itself. We tend to make do with the hand stuff, no fancy machines here =D

Flying Blind... said...

You need Jamie's 30 Minute meals! I don't have a blender/mixer thing, and only have the book as Twin2 loves him, but it would suit this gadget completely!

Jamie Lee said...

Very cool! I thought it was a fancy juicer. I'd never seen one before.

On May 1st I went to the doctor's and weighed 165 pounds. I weighed 147 at my last appointment. I am kind of looking forward to seeing what I weigh at the next one. I'm down from a size 14 to a size 10.

Oh, someone in my bee is using your log cabin block tutorial for their bee block. I had to chime in on Flickr and tell everyone you are my friend! I felt like a rockstar!!!

Cassandra said...

What a cool appliance! I can see it being incredibly useful. I'm scared to look at the price...